A Looking Glass Sanctuary Dedicaton

This beautiful 14.5-acre sanctuary consists of southern floodplain forest and associated wetlands, as well as prairie habitat and oak uplands. It was dedicated on July 26, 2008

The land, named after the Looking Glass River that travels through the preserve, was generously donated to the Michigan Nature Association at the end of 2006 by the Fellowship for Today in East Lansing.

“We wanted the land to be a sea of green rather than development or buildings.”

– Grace Menzel, Fellowship for Today

Fellowship for Today is a New Thought spiritual community that worked in conjunction with The Allen and Edyne Gordon Foundation to contribute money toward preserving the land, and adding to MNA’s Bertha A. Daubendiek Sanctuary Preservation Fund to facilitate general maintenance of the property.

“We wanted to come together to leave a leg­acy for people after us…

that was the vision that drove us.”

– Minister Emeritus Beth Monteith Fellowship for Today

View of the Looking Glass River from the Sanctuary

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Sanctuaries by Michigan Nature Association. Bookmark the permalink.

About Michigan Nature Association

The Michigan Nature Association is a non-profit organization that has been dedicated to preserving Michigan’s natural heritage since 1952. MNA protects more than 10,000 acres of land in over 170 nature sanctuaries throughout the state of Michigan, from the tip of Keweenaw in the Upper Peninsula to the Indiana/Ohio border.